Friday, July 25, 2008

EXCUSE ME SENATOR?

Yesterday Senator Obama delivered a speech before an adoring audience in Berlin, Germany. Surprisingly I have very few complaints with the substance of his statements. He played it fairly safe and actually found room for some pretty standard conservative tenants. That said there was one part of the speech that just about ruined it for me. After his typical “this is our time” declaration, Obama said something that infuriated me:

“I know my country has not perfected itself. At times, we’ve struggled to keep the promise of liberty and equality for all of our people. We’ve made our share of mistakes, and there are times when our actions around the world have not lived up to our best intentions.”

Really Senator? Where to you get off traveling to a foreign country and apologizing for supposed American inequities and trespasses? Now I certainly don’t disagree that throughout the course of U.S. history, we as a freedom-loving people have made a few mistakes in extending equality to all people. To do so I would have to reject events and eras like the trail of tears, the civil rights movement, and Japanese internment. Of course we’ve made mistakes, but why do we need to travel the world preaching those mistakes? Discuss them here, debate them here, learn from them here, but don’t go to Europe and talk about how we’ve failed the world and not lived up to our “best intentions.” Mr. Obama, as a U.S. Senator and possible commander-in-chief you are one of the most recognizable ambassadors of this great country. Thus, it is your job to serve her well and proclaim her greatness to all you address. It is not, nor will it ever be you job to explain what you see as this country’s shortfalls to throngs of foreigners who hang on your every word. Here’s what I would suggest you say on your next Euro-Tour:

I know my country to be the greatest in the world. Since our inception, we have been an unyielding bulwark for liberty and a shining symbol of equality in the global community. As a great American who years ago visited this city once said, American always has been and always will be a shining city on a hill.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Okay, I love your blog!!! I'm going to read it daily!

Amy said...

I sent K an e-mail--get her to read it and y'all respond to me. I'm very curious.